The press's list in science and mathematics began to thrive, with men of the stature of Albert Einstein and Ernest Rutherford subsequently becoming Press authors.
The press's impressive contribution to journal publishing began in 1893, and today it publishes over 300 journals.
The press was the first to use this technique, and in 1805 produced the technically successful and much-reprinted Cambridge Stereotype Bible.
By the 1850s the press was using steam-powered machine presses, employing two to three hundred people, and occupying several buildings in the Silver Street and Mill Lane area, including the one that the press still occupies, the Pitt Building (1833), which was built specifically for the press and in honour of William Pitt the Younger. An important factor in this increase was the inauguration of its list of schoolbooks (including what came to be known as the 'Pitt Press Series').The London Stationers objected strenuously, claiming that they had the monopoly on Bible printing.